Why Texting Web Visitors Is the Best Way to Follow Up
Why Consider Texting Your Website Visitors?
- Instantaneous Delivery: Unlike emails that might end up in spam folders or social media messages that can get buried in numerous notifications, text messages have an astonishing 98% open rate. They are direct and get noticed almost immediately.
- High Engagement: People are more likely to read and respond to a text message. The personal and immediate nature of SMS creates a higher level of engagement compared to other communication channels.
- Mobile Pervasiveness: Most website visitors use mobile devices. This means they are primed for an SMS follow-up, given they're already on their phones.
Strategies for Effective Text Follow-Up:
- Opt-In is Crucial: Always ensure visitors have given you explicit permission to text them. This not only builds trust but is also required by law in many jurisdictions.
- Provide Immediate Value: Your first text message should not just be a bland "Thank you for visiting." Offer something of value like a discount, an eBook, or a useful tip.
- Personalize: Use the information you have about the visitor (like their name or the product they looked at) to personalize your messages.
- Time it Right: Research suggests that texting within the first 5 minutes of a visitor leaving your site or completing a specific action dramatically increases engagement rates. Automation tools can be your ally here.
- Keep it Short and Sweet: SMS has a character limit, but even if it didn't, you'd want to keep your messages concise. Be direct, friendly, and to the point.
- Integrate with Your CRM: Use CRM integrations to track and measure the effectiveness of your text message campaigns. This way, you can continuously optimize based on results.
Potential Challenges and Their Solutions:
- Overstepping Boundaries: Texting is personal. Bombarding visitors with too many messages or texting at inappropriate times can turn them off. The solution? Limit the number of texts you send and stick to regular business hours.
- GDPR and Privacy Concerns: Always remain compliant with data protection regulations. Ensure that users can easily opt-out of your messages and always respect their wishes.
- Maintaining Relevance: With the limited space SMS offers, every word counts. Regularly update your message scripts to ensure they resonate with your audience.